Photo Credit: mark lorch on flickr.com
The credit crunch is hitting us hard, so any way to save a few pennies is welcomed by most. Here are some tips for saving energy. This should help lower some of those nasty utility bills which just seem to keep rising.
- Insulate - Get your loft and walls insulated, it can save you around £100 per year in heating bills.
- Appliances - Make sure your appliances have a good energy rating.Your washing machine, dishwasher, fridge, freezer and tumble dryer could be losing you valuable cash
- Cool Wash - Wash your everyday items on a 30 degree heat setting. It is sufficient as long as you are using a good detergent; most nowadays are good enough.
- Wash less - Obviously things need to be kept clean, but certain items of clothing you are recommended to not wash every time you wear. Jeans in particular age far better when washed less often.
- Boil Less - By only boiling the water that is required in the kettle you don't waste any energy.
- Light Bulbs - Energy saving light bulbs last 10 times longer than normal ones, which makes the extra expenditure more than worthwhile. Visit Ikea to stock up.
- Get outdoors - Go out for walks and outdoor activities. Think of the savings on heating, electricity and appliances, and it will make you feel great too.
For more inspiration visit the Money Saving Expert. Sign up to the mailing list and get expert tips delivered to your inbox.